Volunteer for Alpha
Alpha began as an introduction to the Christian faith for new Christians attending Holy Trinity Brompton church in central London .It is a series of interactive sessions that freely explore the basics of the Christian faith. We ran Alpha typically either on a Monday or Wednesday Evening from March to June every year. Our groups have been as big as 40 people and as small as 6 people who attended. As in all things church we need volunteers to run this program.
ALPHA and food goes hand in hand. It’s a great way to connect and get to know everyone there. The practical help we need to put this together is as follows:
- Set-up of tables and chairs - We need at least one person that can come in earlier in the day to come and do this.
- Decorating and setting of the tables – Anyone who can put out cutlery (silverware), crockery and make it look nice, you are the person we are looking for!!
- Preparing meals for the evening – We have at least one person (depending on the size of the participants) that cooks for us on a given night. We try to get as many people as possible to be on a rotating roster so that our cooks are on at most 3 times or less during the 12 week course. We also give suggestions for meals. The cook delivers the warm food for us at 6:30pm and is invited to stay to enjoy the meal with us (family of the cook is included in this invitation). If you can’t stay that is okay as well.
- Servers and cleaners – These volunteers serve the delivered meal to the participants and then stay to eat with us as well. Afterwards they do the cleanup in the kitchen of all the dishes.
- Take down of tables and chairs – Normally we would get participants to do this but if needed we would get someone to come and do this.
Conversation is the next item on the list. After the talk (about 30 minutes long) the big group breaks into smaller groups to discuss the talk, share their thoughts and ideas. The spiritual help we need to put this together is as follows:
- Group Leaders – We need people to facilitate the small group gatherings. Leading an Alpha small group is very different from other Christian groups, so it is important all hosts attend training in running small groups, pastoral care and ministry before each Alpha course, no matter how many times they have been small group hosts before. The purpose of the small group is to allow the guests to share their opinion and explore together, not to talk to them more about the Christian viewpoint. Therefore it is helpful that the group hosts be confident with letting the discussion follow a natural path, facilitating the discussion rather than participating in it. There would be at most 8 participants in a small group.
- Group Helper – The helper is supposed to be a silent “participant” that gives the other participants the “okay” to be silent and not forced to speak. The helpers could be a relatively new Christians. Many helpers are those who have just finished the previous course
- Prayer Support – We ask for 2 or more people to pray for the participants at the church while the course is running. This is an essential part of the course. Prayer warriors also share the meal with us in the beginning.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the Alpha Outreach in any of the above capacities, please email the church office.